Pillow Blogging

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Literary Meme

In a last ditch attempt to get myself back in the blog, I am attempting a Meme. Here goes.

1. Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
It started out with Nancy Drew, and graduated to Zooey

2. What is your most treasured possession?
I truly would mourn the loss of none (except my R30 sunglasses - that's about US$5! I love them.) As for my kids, didn't someone clever and wise whose name I cannot remember say we don't own them.

3. Which living person do you most dislike?
Smug ones

4. What is your greatest fear?
Fear itself

5. Who or what has been the greatest love of your life?
Reading (and duh, my family of course)

6. What is your greatest regret?
Being intimidated into not marching on campus against apartheid

7. If you could choose to be a character in a book, who would it be?
Dorothea from Middlemarch

8. Which book have you read the most in your lifetime?
Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger

9. What is your favourite journey?
Over Sir Lowry's Pass with Cape Town below, and driving up into the Drakensberg mountains from Pietermaritzburg

10. What do you most value in a friend?
A good laugh

11. What quality do you most admire in a woman?
Humour, strength, honesty, insight

12. What are your favourite names?Franny and Zooey, but my husband won in naming our kids Joseph and Ella. He says I have appalling taste in names and he may be right; I once liked the name Ptolemy.

13. What do you do as a hobby?
Read, ceramics (the new pottery)

14. What are your top 3 books?
Anna Karenina
A Suitable Boy
Almost any Russian novel

15. Where do you get your greatest ideas for writing?
On my pillow

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger herschelian said...

Just discovered your blog via Charlotte's Web
1. Fave fictional hero: Offred from The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.
2. Most treasured possession: My contact lenses/specs without them I am truly blind as a bat.
3. Most disliked living person: Right now it's probably Robert Mugabwe.
4. Greatest fear: Incapacity in old age.
5. Greatest love of my life: Husband (32 yrs)
6. Greatest regret: That there isn't enough time to do all the things I want to do.
7. Character I'd like to be: Too many to answer!
8. Book I've read most: Emma by Jane Austen
9. Favourite journey: On a plane back to Africa.
10. Most valued in a friend: loyalty and laughter.
11. Most admired quality in a woman: independence, sense of humour, sincerity.
12. Favourite names: Emily, Marcus, Alistair, Lesley. (Thank heavens you didn't name your child Ptolemy, my parents have a pug called Ptolemy - Tolly for short!)
13.Hobbies: Reading, gardening, cooking, blogging.
14. Top 3 books: Wow thats a difficult one, they keep changing.
The Chateau by William Maxwell; Babbit by Sinclair Lewis; The Diary of an Ordinary Woman by Margaret Forster
15. Greatest ideas for writing come to me when driving or gardening.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Kerry Hancock said...

Love Franny and Zooey. I didn't get my favourite names either. Children's names are the start of the parenting compromise!

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home