Pillow Blogging

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

No more pillow blogging

Egad. Down on the southern tip of Africa, dipping your toes into the Atlantic Ocean is best left for the hottest days, or a well-prepared wetsuit clad surfer, or a masochist. Today I am taking the plunge. Not into our icy waters, but into that great scary sea called the blog. I am putting my words out there and we will see where they are washed up.

In truth, there is no reason to be scared. I have composed hundreds of blogs. Some have been really funny, some insightful, some just a rant. Unfortunately they have all been in my head, conjured up in the dead of night. When day finally dawns, they have all but evaporated, leaving behind a few pithy comments which linger ’til lunchtime - and then are gone. Entirely.

So, no more more pillow blogging. I must say, a hundred or so words in, and I feel better already. Certainly cheaper than my shrink who I am currently avoiding to allow our bank account to accommodate my husband’s own overpriced therapist.

I have always said thought that at some time in your life, everyone should see a shrink, and I still believe that. You get to pay someone to listen to your rants and wipe your tears, or at least hand you a box of tissues for you to wipe your own tears as those dratted professional boundaries seem to preclude physical contact between client and doctor. Sometimes you just need a damned hug.

My parents generation doesn’t seem to feel quite the same way about therapy as I do. My father - the surgeon - only rates one shrink and only because the guy got a first for surgery at medical school. When speaking of shrinkage, my father always tells the same true story: he sent a patient to see this shrink who called him back the next day with a diagnosis. “It’s FITH disease, and there’s no known cure,” he told my Dad. “What that?” the cutting king asked. “FITH stands for f*cked in the head.” Followed by much roaring of laughter.

But our generation does seem to have embraced the notion of therapy more wholeheartedly, and with less judgment. Everyone I know has been to see one at some time in the last 15 years. And I think the reason blogging has become ubiquitous is because blogging is the new therapy. This is because it has more upside than therapy; it costs nothing, you’re talking to more than one (hopefully) person, and maybe if you ask for it, someone can send you a cyber hug.

So expect some introspection on this blog, but more probably some comments, rants, and laughs at my expense about my world on the southern tip of Africa. And a very nice place it is to be indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home